Thursday, October 11, 2012

Get Her a Shredder 
If you are an elder, or concerned with the well being of an elder, the importance of identity protection is not confined to the younger, nor more prosperous! A delay with an entity like Social Security or Medicare slams a girl into a recurrent bureaucratic nightmare. Have you bought your Mother a paper shredder?

Personally, although I can be excruciatingly detail-oriented, I've never been vigilant about my money, nor focused on the tons of paper on my desk. It is just not in my nature to check stuff, regardless of how many times life thumps me on the head for my failing.

To my astonishment, a letter arrived in the mail recently, stating the State Department of Labor and Employment had reported over $5500 in wages I'd allegedly earned, as the employee of a certain Limited Liability Company. As a result my state shut off my assistance with Medicare Part B premiums.

As I'd never heard of the company and did not earn the wages. I set about to find the employer -- not a chance, no listings in phone directories, no Internet presence. Next I contacted the people in my state, who help me pay my Medicare Part B premiums. I'm cut off, and must file a police report for "possible" identity theft, and send the state a copy. Trying to throw logic into the black hole of Human Services, I said I'd rather not involve the police, as I have not been harmed in any other way. "Besides, this could just be a clerical error." The Gong Show Gong (now I really am dating myself) is still deafening!

Now it appears Labor and Employment may be able to help, but, of course, with the speed of a fly trapped in syrup, pitching me back into calling the police department. I know some disgruntled cop will be delighted to spend his time talking about this. The idea of paying Social Security two months of Medicare premiums and losing my medical plan just stinks, so I'll be talking with those who protect and serve, sooner, rather than later.

Here's the thing. As unappealing a gift as a confetti paper shredder may be, it's a practical help, as is the cleaning out and shredding of all the stuff in all the bottom drawers and attic archives. If the task is daunting, hire the job done, but do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment