Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sharp As A Tack

Tea and Inquiry
My readers who are Mystery Theater and Agatha Christie readers will recognize Miss Jane Marple. My mother, Agnes, was Miss Jane Marple, her perfect double, and sharp as her seam ripper. Agnes Cole was a dame formidable. It was risky business to underestimate her. I mention her, because, today,  CBS This Morning with Charlie Rose and Nora O'Donnell, featured Dr. James Galvin, M.D., M.P.H. Dr. Galvin, of the Barlow Memory Center in New York, is a noted psychiatrist and neurologist. 

Dr. Galvin's research involves the study of people in their eighties, some of whose memories are as good as those of people in their fifties or sixties. These very sharp octogenarians, he identifies as "super-agers." 

Before any of us goes over the moon with excitement, Dr. Galvin and his researchers do not know why the brains of super-agers atrophy less than the brains of others. The good doctor pointed out what we already know. We do neither control our genes, nor the flight of time. We can only do so much about environmental factors. 

Of the people Dr. Galvin has studied, however, excellent agers are very active. These are people who challenge their minds and, perhaps more important, their bodies. Super-agers stay engaged ... in work, in society, in life. Dr. Galvin's research found them to be people who'd made exceptionally healthy lifestyle choices, as well, from excellent diet and exercise, to eliminating smoking, alcohol and drug use. 

While the good doctor discussed certain health issues, such as Diabetes and high blood pressure as detriments, he said nothing about the array of pain-numbing and other drugs we consume. All I can say is, to me, King Kong was in the room. Beware the solutions; pain may not be the ultimate enemy of the aged.

“One of the saddest things in life, is the things one remembers." ―Agatha Christie

I'm not conflicted. I want my "little grey cells" intact, although I sometimes wish my memory were not nearly as good as it is. I wish I could not recall the condescending, patronizing people I've encountered. Even as we suffer the vicissitudes of age, we have the tools and the power to help ourselves. In a society which devalues us, it is a challenge is to demand better of ourselves and others.

One grocery store clerk recently admonished me not to have a "heart attack." He had forgotten, twice, to give me my change! Marshaling the strength not to paste him in the nose, I said, "Not to worry, m'boy, the old bean, and the old ticker work just fine ...  my money, if you please!" It is never too late, not even for a sweeter, gentler, me. 

Take care of yourself! We're all we have!



No comments:

Post a Comment